How I Became a CIR

So, the main thing I had trouble finding when I was looking for information about becoming a CIR was about the application process and what the interview was like etc. so I thought I’d use this post to talk about that. It’s quite a long process though so sorry for the wall of text.

The application period is around October-November time to apply to go out to Japan the following Summer. This was fortunate for me as I finished my dissertation the September of the year I applied.

Before you start compiling all your paper documents (and trust me, there are a lot to compile), you have to go onto the JET website and complete their online application form. After you’ve done that, it will give you access to the forms you need to print off and submit. The reason there are a lot of papers to get together is that you have to not only submit original copies of each form and document, but also 3 photocopies of each item to also be included in the envelope you send everything off in. What’s more, you have to send them some documents which you have to pay for, such as an academic transcript and a Statement of Physician (a doctor’s statement saying you’re all fit and healthy, or if not quite, what conditions you have). Then, you also need photocopies of things like university degree certificate, passport, TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) or JLPT (Japanese Language Proficiency Test) certificates, as well as two references from different people, and a personal statement. All of these things have to be sent to the Japanese Embassy by post.Read More »

10 Days Before Departure

Hi there!

This will be my first post on this blog, so as a little introduction:

I’m a girl from England about to become a Co-Ordinator for International Relations (CIR for short) in Japan.

The CIR position is part of the JET (Japan Exchange and Teaching) Programme. Unlike the Assistant Language Teacher (ALT) position, to become a CIR you need to have a good level of Japanese – they say ideally JLPT N2 level. To apply to the JET Programme, you also need to have a university degree.Read More »